Thursday, August 2, 2018

The Rise of the Emperor--The New Emperor Arrives

The thirteenth hour of the thirteenth day of the thirteenth moon of Siurbu 2171


The mundo {Munde male} named Banim watched with all the others in the relative safety of the trees as the only Emperor he had ever known fell to the earth, landing with a crash. Soon after, a great black dragon descended. It was not the Emperor's dragon, but another. The man atop it slid to the ground. He was dressed completely in black, in a leather tunic and breeches. Finger-less black gloves adorned his hands. He had long black hair that was tied in a loose ponytail behind his head.
The man seemed to exude darkness. He stalked over to the dead emperor, breaking the man's wand and letting it fall atop the broken body. Banim watched in awe as the man's own wand grew in his hand until it became a long staff. He stalked over near the trees then, and slammed the staff down on the ground. "I claim this land, the land of my birthright as mine. For I am Eirathem, the True Casari {Emperor} of Myencihn!"
A wall of mud that turned to stone as soon as it was a bit taller than him began to form and spread along the line the first Emperor of Myencihn had marked as his. The new Emperor stepped back and ground his staff into the earth. His voice resounded in the area like thunder. "I suggest if you see a wall coming your way, you move. All those on this side of the wall are now in the land known as Casariuhof'n {The Emperor's Garden}. Myende who wish to leave need only ask and I will give you passage from my land. If you are Munde, I am Maestir."
A Myendo {Myende male} Banim knew to be one of the councilors to the old emperor cautiously approached then. The older man looked calm, considering his former emperor lay in a puddle on the ground and his new Emperor had just erected a giant wall that was growing.
"I suppose," Eirathem said coldly, "You wish to see proof of my claim?"
"You should not have been able to erect the wall if you are not the true Casari," said the man calmly. "However, there will be those who demand proof."
The Emperor reached up and slid something from atop his arm. Once he slid it free, he shook his arm until a bracelet fell all the way to his wrist. He held out his left arm inviting the old mage to inspect it. The man carefully approached, twisting the leather bracelet around Eirathem's wrist to fully examine it, though he was careful never to actually touch the new Emperor himself. He stepped back, looking at Eirathem curiously. "It would be good to hear how the heir we believed to have died in an accident, lived."
"There was nae accident," said Eirathem in a voice dripping with venom. "My father sacrificed my mother, and then attempted to sacrifice me when I was but two turns old. I still remember her screams. Then I remember the pain of the knife he attempted to use to cut the heart from my body. Then I remember darkness."
He continued, "I have been told that since I was so young my magic aided me and I entombed myself, and then fell into a pit where a rhacon {great snake} lived. She held me in her coils, stopping the bleeding with the healing secretions these snakes produce. According to the one who told me thus, I traveled through caves underground to the deep south of this land, to a land even now none of you dare to tread. They say it was there my dragon came to me. However I remember none of this. I remember pain, then I remember darkness, and then...I remember my dragon."
"She took me to Puethion'n {the Land of the Sands}, where I learned to care for her and lived amongst a people called the Fremdafyr. I have reclaimed my birthright for one reason, and one reason only: to free the dragons."
He turned and strode to the pen they called the valley of dragons. In truth, it was a great pit to trap unfledged dragons in hopes they would bond with the elite of Myencihn. There was a great staircase so that those bonded to the dragons could get in and out of the pit. He stood on the top stair and banged his staff upon the ground. "In the name of Eirathem, Casari Myencihnu {Emperor of Myencihn}, I free the unfledged dragons. Fly! Find your children, call them to your backs and take them to Puethion'n so they may learn to care for you as I learned to care for mine."
For a time it seemed as a great tornado had broken, as one dragon after another beat its great wings and took to the sky. After those had risen to the air and flown away, he looked upon the remaining dragons, and the boys trapped in the pit with them. "These boys may believe you are only beasts to serve them," said Eirathem gravely to the dragons below. "However I know better. Call your children to your backs!"
For a few moments all that could be heard was the screams of boys as they flew through the air only to end right side up on their dragons. "Take them to Puethion'n so that they can learn to mind, care for you and fly. Return not until they are ready to learn the Casariu'n {the Emperor's} ways! Fly!!"
Watching from the trees, Banim's heart sank. For he knew now exactly who this man was. And he had no doubt that quite soon the man would exact his revenge against him.
"Make nae mistake," said Eirathem to the councilor. "I AM the Casari. Your Council of Elite is disbanded. You are my only councilor. I have walked this land for several turns. I am well aware of the behavior of all those who called themselves councilors, and that is the reason you will be my only councilor. For now you shall find all those who call themselves overseers upon this and send them straight to me."
He said nothing else before stalking into what was the old emperor's stronghold.


* * *
Later that evening, Eirathem surveyed his lands from the window of the previous emperor's stronghold. There was not much to be said for them. The fields were bare, having been picked clean to feed the elite in the Emperor's City. The Munde, slaves to the former emperor, hid in the forest, starving.
When the new Emperor had taken over the compound earlier in the day, he had ousted the gaggle of Munde women who had served in the former emperor's bed. Now only one remained, a child that looked to be barely seven. She eyed him from the corner with fear, clutching the doll he had given her closely to her. The few sharp stings he had given the girl's legs when she disobeyed had been enough to convince her to mind him.
There was a sharp rap at the door and Eirathem turned, bellowing "Enter!"
Two men walked in cautiously. One was the newly appointed councilor, the other the only remaining overseer, as Eirathem had already ousted all the others. Eirathem strode to the desk. "Come," he said tersely.
The men approached on the other side of the desk. Eirathem pushed the scroll towards the overseer, tapping at two figures on the scroll with the butt of his wand. "These are the number of Munde who died upon these lands in the last turn. It is almost as many as those who lived. I would like to know how you would change this. I have yet to have an overseer give me an appropriate answer."
"I think you will like not what I have to say," admitted the man quietly.
"Continue," said Eirathem coldly.
"If you want them to live," he said quietly, "they must be fed adequately and their health cared for."
"And how would you accomplish this?" asked Eirathem.
The man looked at the councilor apprehensively, and then finally said, "In the south, amongst the villages on this side of Denu'n Rhaciu {the Valley of Snakes}, you will find what remains of Teinusiuhus'n {the thirteenth house}. Should you really wish to aid the Munde of this land, there are those who would serve as healers and overseers. However, they will allow not the treatment the Munde here have had thus far."
Eirathem nodded. He said quietly. "I walked this land for many moons unseen before challenging the former Casari. I watched all. It escaped not my notice that you alone, of all the overseers, rarely used that whip that is at your side."
"I have never found that cutting open a mundo's back makes him work harder or be more obedient, " said the man softly.
"And that is why," said Eirathem, "I chose to save you for the last to question. Should you prove yourself worthy, you shall be my Forsahndon, my head overseer."
"But know this," he said as he pointed the butt of his wand at the man, "I have two rules regarding my Munde: dead Munde are impractical, and hurt Munde are impractical. I understand from time to time discipline may be needed, but the Munde of this land need not suffer needlessly."
The man nodded, "Aye, Casari."
Eirathem flicked his wand and a scroll came flying out of his bag and landed on the table. He opened so the two men could see. "These are the plans for my lands. Nae more will the food produced here go to fill the bellies of the elite. Casariu'n Ceasteron {the Emperor's great city} will be dismantled. If they want a city they can build on the land of another. Soon, those dragon riders who escaped the former Casari will arrive from Puethion'n. They will be in charge of its dismantlement. They will also aid you," he said pointing to the overseer, "in getting the aid you need. We will move towards there gathering the Munde and dismantling the buildings as we go."
"Know this," he said pointing to the councilor, "this will happen. Any who defy or stand against me will be crushed. So when my riders arrive, I suggest you have one take you to this city, and I further suggest you inform them it is in their best interest to leave peaceably. For I will do what I must to reclaim my lands."
The councilor nodded gravely. "But for now," said the Emperor, "Get out there and get those Munde out of the trees and get them healed and whole as best you may until help arrives. Dismissed."
The two men left slowly. Afterwards, Eirathem motioned to the child, "Come here," he said shortly.
She rose and cautiously approached him. He led her to the balcony where he had sat a chair and a short stool earlier. He pointed to the stool, and she sat quietly. He sat in the chair next to it. As he sat, his wand grew into a great staff. He ground it into the earth, releasing a spell so all in the vicinity could hear his words. "What is Casari's first rule?" he asked the child softly.
"Dead Munde are im-....."
"Impractical" he finished for her.
"And Casari's second rule?"
"Hurt Munde are impractical," she said getting the word correct this time.
"And what does Maestir want of his Munde?" asked Eirathem.
"Do as we are told," she answered.
"And what will happen to those who obey Maestir?" he asked.
"Full bellies," she replied, showing what was most important to her.
"And what else?" he asked pulling gently at the new dress he had acquired for her to wear.
"Clothes that fit," she replied eagerly.
"Anything else?" he asked.
"Toys," she said clutching the doll towards her.
"And you shall help the Munde learn Casari's Rules so you can keep that doll, shall you not?"
"Aye, Maestir," she said softly, clutching her precious toy even more tightly.
Eirathem said nothing else, banging his staff upon the ground to end the spell. He knew that this night, in the forest, there were Munde men looking fearfully towards the compound, in fear for the child he had taken. And that was precisely why he had kept the girl. In keeping her, it would ensure their obedience until they learned to trust him.
After a time he rose, motioning for the child to follow him. She looked at him fearfully, clutching her doll close. "You have behaved well today," he said softly, "You may bring it along."
Hearing that, the child came to him and grabbed his belt. He led her to the next room, where he had her lie on a mat he had prepared for the night. Securing the room, he took to his own bed. Tomorrow would be a long day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment